You probably don’t spend much time thinking about your roof flashing. And, if you hired a trustworthy roofing contractor to install it – you shouldn’t have to think about it at all until it’s time to replace your roof. During your roof replacement, you’ll have to make many decisions—one of those being what type of flashing is best for your home. Most homeowners select aluminum or steel as their flashing material. Depending on your project goals, copper flashing is an option that adds so much in terms of durability and aesthetics. Upgrading to copper flashing comes with a price tag – it’s certainly not for every homeowner. While copper flashing is a great way to add some rich, functional finishes to your home – many homeowners considering this option ask us, “is copper flashing really worth the investment?”
Since 2003 we’ve helped homeowners in Central Kentucky make confident, informed decisions regarding their roof replacement. We’ve helped tens of thousands of homeowners navigate issues like what shingles to choose and what flashing material is suitable for their home.
In this article, we’ll cover the basics of flashing, answer commonly asked copper flashing questions, and give you the information you need to decide if copper flashing is right for your home.
What is Roof Flashing
First things first. Before we dive into the specifics of copper flashing, let’s take a step back and explain what flashing is and the importance of flashing to your roof.
Flashing is a crucial piece of your home’s water displacement system. Flashing is a metal secured under your shingles, preventing water from seeping into your home. Your flashing directs water into your gutters and away from leak-prone areas on your roof. Flashing is placed along the valleys of your roof, chimney, and other vulnerable areas to prevent leaks.
Another topic we’d like to touch on is flashing replacement. If you do not have copper flashing, we recommend replacing your flashing with each roof replacement. It simply comes down to avoiding issues and leaks down the road. Since you’ll eventually have to pay for new flashing, replacing it with the rest of your roof makes sense. Replacing your flashing after a roof replacement can be more costly due to the additional labor involved. If flashing needs replacing, it’s best to do it during a roof replacement.
Copper Flashing – Common Questions Answered
1. Does copper flashing last longer? Copper flashing will long outlive the shingles on your roof. If you choose to install copper flashing, you may never need to install flashing again. While other metals last a long time, copper is considered a lifetime material. As long as copper flashing is properly installed, you shouldn’t need to replace it. However, if you replace your roof, it can be a good idea to replace your flashing- copper included. Copper flashing may become dented or damaged during storms, but your homeowner’s insurance policy should cover this type of damage.
2. Is copper flashing worth it? That answer truly depends on your unique situation. Copper flashing is a lifetime material that offers incredible curb appeal. Every homeowner wants their home to stand out (and bonus if that ‘wow’ factor requires no maintenance), which copper flashing provides to a home. If you have the budget and appreciate the look of copper flashing, it is undoubtedly worth the investment. But, if your budget or situation does not allow for copper flashing, the functionality of your roof will not be negatively impacted.
3. Does copper change over time? Copper flashing does patina over time. The color will change from bright and shiny copper to darker green. Think of the appearance of a new vs. an older penny. Many homeowners appreciate the patina of copper flashing as it adds to the character of their home. We recommend thoroughly researching what patinated copper flashing looks like before committing to your choice.
Is copper flashing right for your home?
After reading this article, you hopefully have a better idea about the positives of copper flashing. If copper flashing is outside your budget or you don’t plan on living in your home for years to come – copper flashing likely isn’t the right choice for your home. However, copper flashing will be an excellent compliment if you invest in a premium asphalt roofing system.
Copper Flashing may be suitable for your home if:
· You live in a historic home and want to add a finish that is true to the home
· If your roof is complex and you want to invest in a highly durable, aesthetically pleasing material, copper is an excellent choice for flashing
· You want to add an accent around your chimney, roof’s edge, porch, doorways, or overhangs
While it’s not right for every homeowner and budget, copper flashing is an excellent investment in your home. Copper flashing is a lifetime material meant for homeowners that appreciate and have the budget for premium finishes.
Does a roof replacement with copper flashing have a good return on investment?
According to the 2022 National Association of Realtors Research Group, new roofing was one of only two exterior home projects with a full, 100% cost recovery for homeowners. This shows that prospective home buyers value the investment of new roofing.
Whether you intend to sell your home in the future or not – new roofing is a wise investment in your home. If you want to improve your home’s curb appeal with no added maintenance, copper flashing may be an excellent decision for your roofing project.
Next Steps – How much will my roof replacement cost?
Replacing your roof can seem like an overwhelming process. We want to help homeowners feel confident and make informed decisions throughout this process. From what questions to ask a roofing contractor to how much your roof replacement will cost, you can find help for every step by visiting our Learning Center and YouTube channel.
You never want to trade speed for craftsmanship. With AIC Roofing, you won’t have to. We are part of the elite 2% of roofers in North America to hold the GAF MasterElite Certification. AIC Roofing and Construction has been serving the Louisville and Central Kentucky area since 2003. We’re proud of the stellar reputation we’ve earned from helping homeowners. Replacing your roof is expensive and can be a stressful process. Rest assured, knowing that our expert staff are with you every step of the way – before, during, and after.
We are an earnest, experienced MasterElite Certified roofer in Louisville, Kentucky. If the time has come to replace your roof, we’d love to see if we would be a good fit for your home project. Contact us today to schedule your free estimate!
attics barns chimney choosing a contractor commercial cost curb appeal DIY estimate financing flashing flat roof GAF gutter replacement gutter size gutter system ice dams inspections insurance missing shingles roofing materials roofing system roof leak roof maintenance roof repair roof replacement siding materials siding replacement skylights underlayment ventilation warranty winter