Sometimes it can be hard to know when it’s time to call it quits. This is true with many things in life, including your roof. After all, your roof does a lot to protect your home and everyone who lives there.
We all like to think our roofs have more time left in them…until they don’t. On the flip side, we also don’t want to jump the gun on roof replacement if it isn’t really needed yet. Today we’ll get into the nitty-gritty of how to tell when you need a roof replacement and what to do when it is time.
It Starts With Quality Materials
A well-built roof can protect you for a long, long time. But how many years does a roof last? It depends on many factors, but especially on the quality of the roofing materials. The lifespan of your shingles is influenced by the following factors.
- Type of Shingles: Many types of shingles are available today, each with a different lifespan. Three-tab shingles, the most common end economical shingles, generally have a lifespan of 15-20 years. Architectural shingles are built to last up to 25 years or longer, and some of the highest quality premium designed shingles can last up to 50 years.
- Shingle Manufacturer: Quality and lifespan can vary among shingle manufacturers. Make sure you choose shingles made by a trusted brand like Owens Corning, CertainTeed, or GAF.
- Shingle Maintenance: Taking good care of your roof is, of course, absolutely essential to its longevity. Be sure to have your roof professionally inspected and maintained each year to ensure its continued good condition.
- Shingle Installation: All of the above means nothing if your shingles are poorly installed. It’s always of the utmost importance to work with an experienced roofer who uses quality materials and puts in the time and effort to do the job right…the first time.
- Shingle Warranties: Know what you get with the warranties offered by both the manufacturer and the contractor. Many top contractors will offer a workmanship warranty in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty, which provides more protection against roof failure.
How to Know When Your Roof Needs Replacing
Even with a top quality roof professionally installed and regular maintenance, there will still come a time when roof replacement is necessary. Consider a few things when you think you might need a new roof:
- Severity of the Damage: Roofs often need to be replaced after they are damaged by severe weather. Others are worn out by wind and rain over many years. If your roof has been damaged by a sudden event, such as wind, a tornado, or a snow storm, contact a professional to have it inspected right away.
- Age of Your Roof: Sometimes your roof can be repaired instead of replaced. This depends not only on the extent of the damage but on the age of the roof. If your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan, replacement is often preferred because your roof will likely need to be replaced in the near future anyway…repairs will only slightly delay the inevitable.
- When the Roof was Last Replaced: Was your roof recently replaced? If you replaced your current roof, chances are you won’t need to replace it anytime soon. If your roof hasn’t been replaced since you moved in it could be hard to guess how old the roof is. New shingles can last 20 years or more, but older roofing materials may not be as reliable.
It can be almost impossible to determine yourself whether your roof needs to be repaired or replaced. You may see damaged shingles, notice the telltale signs of a roof leak, or know your roof is very old, but it takes a trained eye to really know what your roof needs. This makes it imperative to have your roof professionally inspected.
The roofing experts at AIC Roofing & Construction can inspect your Central Kentucky roof and make recommendations for how to move forward. In many cases it is possible to repair your roof rather than replacing it entirely; doing so often depends on catching the problem early before it becomes too serious. Contact today to learn more about working with AIC Roofing & Construction in Central Kentucky. Our hardworking team of roof experts is dedicated to providing the highest quality roofing installation to protect your home and your family.
attics barns chimney choosing a contractor commercial cost curb appeal DIY estimate financing flashing flat roof GAF gutter replacement gutter size gutter system ice dams inspections insurance missing shingles roofing materials roofing system roof leak roof maintenance roof repair roof replacement siding materials siding replacement skylights underlayment ventilation warranty winter